Sunday, March 18, 2012

Monster Milkers!

I know this blog was created with the intention of being a sort of diary for my little farm. There isn't much inter-activity to be had with readers (not that I think many people actually read these ramblings.) But today I pose a question. Have you ever had a "monster milker", and what was your response? How did you feel about her and what did you end up doing?

I ask because I now have a "monster milker." She is the most horrid beast! I have had milkers who stomp, kick and even attempt to lay down now and then, but I've been able to work through their issues with patience and training. This girl is a total freak! She screams bloody murder the entire time I'm milking. You would think I was out there stabbing her with a knife. She repeatedly lies down, even if I put an upside down bucket under her chest or poke her with my thumb. She kicks and bucks, and I mean like a rodeo horse, constantly. Grain doesn't appease her, gentle scratches and patience doesn't get me anywhere. I've resorted to tying one hind leg to the back corner of the milk stand and that only marginally helps thing. I think she has a screw loose! I couldn't begin to tell you how much she gives me since she spills most of the milk. This morning she tossed the entire bucket.

The good news is that she is learning to lead and stand for the show pen. The previous owner said she was hopeless as far as that went. I've just given her a swat or an ear tweak here or there when she starts throwing a giant tantrum, and I've insisted she allow me to handle her rear legs. She has gotten to the point where she will stand still and allow me to position her properly. Her leading can be iffy if she doesn't want to go where you are pointing her, but a swift and sharp swat on the behind has seemed to help a great deal. She has a beautiful udder although I'm having some troubles with it being a little lopsided due to her twins favoring one side. Milking her out to empty in the evenings and trying to milk the "less favored" side a little more every morning to encourage production. I would really like to try and show her!

I picked up "Cupcake" this last week. She is adorable and such a sweetie! And she has the coolest color. She looked white in her photos, but she is actually a very pale gold with white spotting. Almost pink looking! I'll have to get photos when the weather stops being horrid. I am going to call her Winry, after a character in a show I watch. Just don't like the name Cupcake. 

-Yuna, at 1 1/2 weeks old!-

No comments:

Post a Comment