Thursday, June 28, 2012

MIA

I'm really not MIA, I swear. I just haven't bothered to update my blog because I've lost the ability to compose sentences that don't sound completely stupid lately. I will give the majority of the news in a brief re-cap simply because a lot has happened since March! 

Klover, one of my newer purchases this year, kidded quadruplets on Easter. The fourth kid was DOA and I was left with two bucklings and a doe. I retained one of the bucks because Klover's udder was simply amazing and I love his genetics (daddy is a Caesar's Villa boy.) He is a pretty little gold and white guy who is exceedingly dairy and angular with perfect legs, tons of rear angulation, a great extension of brisket and loads of uphill body length. Once I finally get the service memo he will be KK Snowd'n Mad Hatter. I call him Jefferson.

Photobucket

-Only a few days old-


I do not believe Fae is pregnant, but she could be fooling me. I've had a FF develop an udder out of nowhere the day she kidded and tummy size is never an indicator for me in a youngster...but her pooch does not look bred. We are moving at some point in the next six months, so I need to cut back and at this point the only doe I've forced myself to part with is Fae (and I mean forced.) She has a buyer once we reach her due date and we find out if babies happen. She is due the 10th of July so she doesn't have long to make some changes. I do think Winry is bred, but I'm doubtful Northfork's buck is the sire which is disappointing because I loved his dam. I'm thinking Odin is the proud poppa so she will be the latest to pop.


Speaking of Odin, I am bringing in a moon spotted buck from Diji farms, and I am on a strict two buck limit, so Odin has gone bye-bye. Banshee or Fae better have a doe as I plan to keep one from my little Odin and I'm sure I'll kick myself if they end up with amazing udders...but he was a little on the small size for my taste and I couldn't pass up Denzil. We are picking him up Saturday!


Photobucket

Diji Farms CG Denzil Washington


I will get some new pictures as soon as he gets home. I love chocolate goats to death, and the fact that he has moon spots is icing on the cake. His dam's udder is capacious with huge, forward pointing teats and tiny teats on Nigerians has become a pet peeve of mine (alongside the lack of rear angulation in a lot of show animals), so he has both points. He also has an LA score as a yearling of +V+83 so I'm excited!


Poit kidded the 20th with some darling buck kids. I really wanted a doe to retain from her, but had a buck reservation she filled for me, and couldn't have asked for more correct, robust and colorful little kids from her. What a good mother too, although I admit she is a fat cow, I expected quads as big as she was and all she had in there was twins.


Photobucket

Photobucket


I call them Loki and Buffalo Bill, but the new owners want to name the darker boy Thor...which really fits since his brother is Loki, so they will be papered as Firelight Ranch OD Loki and Firelight Ranch OD Thor. They are both very correct, uphill, the works. And Poit's udder is enormous this go round!


Banshee is next up to bat and I'm impatiently waiting. She is on day 149 and she better darn well go tomorrow because we are supposed to be going up to my mother-in-laws tomorrow night about 5:30 and staying the night, then picking Denzil up and driving home Saturday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment