Friday, March 2, 2012

Leap Day Kids!



 Tifa kidded around 3 p.m. on 2/29 with twin doelings! Both are buckskin, which was a little surprising to me considering the colors of the parents. But it makes sense genetically looking at grand-parents. Both have blue eyes! The one with the white belt also has a tiny moon spot on her right hip near her tail. They are being called Yuna and Rikku since I am keeping to a Final Fantasy theme with Tifa's kids.


-Yuna, 1 Day Old-
-Rikku, 1 Day Old-
I am retaining Yuna. I think I found another moon spot on her left side,  peeking out of the white band. I am very excited to have a doe kid from this buck. As always, I can't wait to see an eventual udder on this girl. I'm always impatient to see if my decision keeping/buying doe kids results in a good udder. I am content to have them stay adorable, cuddly kids for now. I love my "snuggle time" with the newborns. Rikku is reserved and her new owner will be picking her up in June. My friend Wendy is already attached and she will hate to see her go. They are two days old now and already leap into my lap every time I sit in the pen. It is amazing how quickly young kids discover that humans are awesome jungle gyms and beds. Tifa is a wonderful mother with a gorgeous udder. I just can't believe how much I lover her udder! I can't thank Traci enough for allowing me to purchase this awesome girl!


-Chewy making friends with Yuna.-

In other news, I am picking Klover up tomorrow. Expect another blog entry with more pictures. Until I can get a bander to begin the slow removal of her horn, she will be my unicorn goat. I plan to name her kids after mythical creatures because of this. I don't know how stressful it is on a goat to have a horn banded, and I know there is risk of infection...so she won't be banded until after she has given birth. No need to stress her out further or endanger her kiddos. I am very excited to bring her home!

Ginny (Sugar) came up lame today. She ran through a particularly deep patch of mud to escape me when I came out to halter her...so I'm hoping she just pulled something a little. She was only lame trotting a circle to the left. Lets cross fingers that she is fine Monday when I take her out again. A problem larger than that would mean vet bills and would kill my chances of selling her should it be something that isn't easily fixable. Grrr... I forgot to check for an abscess or sole bruise, so I will do that tomorrow. Annoying, but common and treatable. So I rode Chardonnay instead today. So much energy,  but such a fun horse!



-Charry's beautiful Quarter/Arab face!-



No comments:

Post a Comment