Saturday, June 11, 2011

Shows, Sunshine and Sales


After raining non-stop for a couple of weeks, the sun decided to come out for the show in Salem. The show was certainly stressful for me. The goats, on the other hand, were perfectly fine with hanging out. There were way more Nigerians than I expected, and of very high quality. I believe there was a total of thirty-seven senior does. They all seemed overly tall and large to me, and after wandering around and looking at the competition, I realized I had no chance. I wished then that I had taken the advice of a friend of mine and went to watch rather than to show. Dakota's udder ended up looking great, but she couldn't measure up to any of the other animals in terms of body capacity and size. Many barely came in under the maximum height.

I brought Jolie to simply help me decide if I want to wait for her to mature further or sell her as a nice family milker. The decision was cemented for me quite easily at the show. I don't think Jolie will ever have an udder large enough to compete, and that comes from her dam. It is a beautiful udder, and larger than her dam's but I don't think she will ever rise to that level. Of course I am looking at a very high level of competition. She should do well at county fairs, but she needs to grow some more. I won't be offering her for sale until she has put on some additional weight. I pulled her kids and sold one, and am letting her dry up. Without her kids draining her energy she should start looking better.

I was very pleased with how well Dakota behaved, however. She walked like a champ and set up immediately and held her stance. She might not be able to win in such a large, tough competition with goats that have went top ten at nationals....but I think she should be able to hold her own well at smaller shows. Beyond that, she is a great mom, kids easily, and gives me a lot of milk. She crosses very well on bucks who are very sturdy with a lot of body capacity. I decided that if she isn't going to place well at large shows, then I am going to sell her. I have three bred does coming in this year, all of whom I plan to retain a kid from (hopefully a buck from one as well), a very nice doeling, and a buck kid that I am picking up tomorrow. I could definitely use the additional space. I will also be selling the doeling from Dakota I was planning on retaining and my buck out of her.

I suppose when you improve your herd by adding better animals, you have to "cull" those who no longer meet the quality of the rest of your herd. All of the animals I am selling are nice, but the ones I am buying are better. Poit is due anytime. I'm still worried her kids will have crooked legs, and if not, that her udder isn't nice enough for a brood doe due to her (so far) smallish teats. However, I don't think I could ever sell her. There are some animals that have permanent homes here no matter what.

Photobucket

-Poit looking very pregnant yesterday.-

The show wasn't a complete bust, however. Banshee did very well, and I was very proud of her behavior in the ring. She placed 6th and 9th in two rings out of a very large class of dry yearlings (I believe 17-20.) I was ecstatic, especially seeing as she is so very small.

Photobucket

-Banshee posing and looking quite grumpy about it.-

Also, just watching everyone show was fun. Maybe not for my husband, but for me. I kept noticing one white doe who had faint grey spotting on her coat. I thought it was quiet neat, and she ended up winning a GCH. She is one of Camanna's doe, and I came home and immediately reserved a buck kid out of her. I am picking him up tomorrow at the show in Roseburg. He is by Dill's D Lucky's Image, who is an outstanding buck. I'm very excited about him! He will definitely have a date with Banshee and Fae this winter. I will get some photos of him when we get him home tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment