Friday, April 30, 2010

Pre-Show Jitters

I use to have pre-show jitters when I showed horses. I know I shouldn't be super nervous about my first goat show, but I am a little wary. I showed lambs for two years, and I showed a Pygmy once at a county fair. I remember it being pretty laid back and simple, but I'm afraid of making a fool of myself by doing something completely stupid. I need to dress in white, although its going to have to be blue jeans and a white shirt, because thats what I have. I at least have some nice chain collars to use. I need to be there between 6-8 a.m. Oh joy. Ha ha. If all goes well, Tomahawk will get some nice marks, as long as I don't mess things up for the poor guy. If nothing else, I get some show experience, so does he, and I get to finally bring him home!

Poor little Narf and Val seem to have some sort of issue going on. They both have some pretty nasty diarrhea. I started treating them for Cocci immediately, and I put them up in one of the pens so they can't eat any rich alfalfa or spring-time grass right now. Narfs "output" seems to have tightened up already. She seemed a little uncomfortable and bloated looking, although she was still nibbling at grass. So I sat with her and rubbed and patted her belly for a good half hour. She burped a little and seemed to relax. She didn't look overly bloated, and I'm not sure if she WAS at all...but I felt better about taking the precaution. When I put her back in her pen, she sprang to life and started crying and leaping off of the walls. I'm sure she'll be just fine. I get over paranoid about the health of my goats. :) Better safe than sorry. Thats my motto anymore. Val didn't seem uncomfortable or bloated at all. She just had the diarrhea. If the Cocci treatment doesn't help, I'll worm them again and see what that does for them. It might simply be the rich diet they are on. I might need to start penning the pregnant girls at night so the young ladies don't get to share their food with them. I don't need fat little cows with runny poo. Its not healthy for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment