Friday, May 14, 2010

Scour Nightmare!

I just can't shake this episode of scours that my doe kids are having. Both Val and Narf had liquid diarrhea a couple of days ago, after some success with the Pepto Bismol. I obviously can not continue giving them Pepto constantly, especially if the problem is deeper than rich feed. I separated them from food for 24 hours to see if it helped. It seemed to somewhat, but still no real pellets. So now I'm treating them with Scour-Halt to see if that does me any good. It treats for E. Coli. Le sigh. Next option will be to send poo samples to a vet. Problem is, vets around here look at goats like someone might look at a Rubix cube. They don't know what to do with them.

I am, however, excited to say that Tomahawk's legs are improving. He has been out in the field on an off with the pregnant girls, learning to socialize with women without the risk of knocking anything up I don't want bred at the moment. In the short time I have had him, they seem to have straightened up considerably. The photo I have of him as a very young kid showed very straight legs from behind. I'm guessing they were somewhat weak due to being penned up constantly. I'm not sure how he was being raised, but its a good explanation. I got my ADGA handbook finally, and was reading a section in which it pointed out that some bucks can have weak legs simply because of the fact they were raised in small areas with a lack of exercise. This can cause them to tilt in or out or look crooked. He certainly has had plenty of room to roam, and I can definitely see a change. Its extremely encouraging, and his hocks have gone from moderate to slight. I think I'll start hand-walking him a few times a week up and down the road for some additional leg strengthening, to see if that helps him. He is still young enough that he is certainly developing, and I think any weaknesses caused by confinement and lack of strength can still be helped.

No photos today. I'll have new ones of Narf up soon, as I took a photo shoot of her last week. I also clipped Pearl today, and plan to take more photos soon. Still no new kids. I think that Pearl might really hold out until June after all, based on her development. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment